News & Events
- Winter Erging
- Monday, November 25th, 2013
Now that rowing programs have ended and temperatures are dropping, WRRA rowers have two options for the winter: a) hibernation until the warm weather returns, or b) taking your rowing activities indoors and onto the ergs. You know choice “b” is the right choice — for you, for the team, for the club — so join in. Please find below the details and cost of winter erging with WRRA.
WINTER ERGING REGISTRATION
- Winter erging is available to all WRRA members.
- If you were registered to row in BOTH the Summer AND Fall during 2013, you are already eligible to participate.
- If you have only rowed ONE season in 2013 (Summer OR Fall), you will need to register for the Winter Erging Fee which provides access to the CRF boathouse and erging facilities during the winter months. The fee is $85 and you can register for that HERE: http://bit.ly/1aQJWFR
If you have any problems or questions with registration, please contact email@example.com.
WINTER ERGING PRACTICE STRUCTURE AND TIMES:
1. Introduction to Erging Class
- An “Introduction to Erging” class will be offered Saturday, November 30th at 8:30 AM and Thursday, December 5th (6:00pm) and will cover basic erg care, use and erging technique. Come if you wish to either session.
- Please RSVP to SRL@westernreserverowing.com noting your name and the class you wish to attend.
2. Erging sessions are informal and loosely structured.
- Traditionally, more experienced rowers help to organize workouts based on coach or trainer recommendations, or participants can choose to do their own workouts.
- Ergs are first-come, first-served during WRRA practice times. If erg availability becomes an issue, a doodle will be used to manage demand.
- Winter Erging is not an official program offered by WRRA; it is simply a group of WRRA rowers who like to erg who self-organize these sessions.
- Paul Kopp will plan (try) to be at the Tues, Thurs, and Sat sessions. He will have a erg work-out in mind and may also mix in occasional calisthenic / weight-bearing exercises for those who wish to have some guidance. You are free however to do whatever you like.
3. Practice times and days (erging has already begun – the schedule below is effective immediately)
- Nov., Dec., Jan., and Feb. practice times: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs: 6:00-8:00 pm; Sat: 7-9:00 am
- These are times during which the ergs are reserved and available for WRRA members. The group erging Saturday Mornings with Paul plans to begin at 7:30AM.
- The erg reservation schedule for March has not yet been determined
4. Practice Managers allow WRRA access to the boathouse
- Boathouse access during WRRA practice times is dependant on having someone who can open and close the boathouse (SQL-2 safety status or above). This means there may be some days when erging cannot take place if an SQL-2 is not available.
- We ask individuals or 2 “buddies” who have SQL-2 status to volunteer to take responsibility as practice managers one day a week (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up as a practice manager).
- An email list will be set up so that the SQL-2 rowers who open and close the boathouse can stay in touch with the erging group. Please email email@example.com to be added to the email list to be kept up to date on practice changes and cancellations.
If you have questions about Winter Erging structure, schedule or contact list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final Volunteer Events of 2013
- Monday, November 11th, 2013
End of Year Boat Maintenance
What: WRRA Fleet / Equipment Maintenance
When: Saturday, November 16, 2013; Sunday, November 17, 2013 (Oar Maintenance follow up)
Time: 9AM – Noon
Saturday, November 16, 2013, 9 a.m. – Noon, rowers in all WRRA programs are needed to assist with the following:
- Washing all Shells
- Inspecting shells and identifying any needed maintenance / repairs, and/or parts that may need to be ordered.
- Where possible at the time, make repairs or do maintenance
- Inspect and paint all oars
- Inventory radios and cox boxes
Sunday, November 17, 2013, 9 a.m. – Noon, there will be a work event to complete the maintenance / painting of the oars.
The Equipment Committee will be managing these events.
Your assistance is critical. We hope you will come. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Let us know which day(s) you plan to attend. Boat maintenance will only be on Saturday. Oar painting will be completed on Sunday.
Volunteer Hours and Volunteer Deposit Refunds
- Summaries of Volunteer Hours completed may be found here: http://www.westernreserverowing.com/members/volunteering/hours-earned/
- Please review the summary to see where you stand with respect to completing the 8 hours of Volunteer service required for the Volunteer Deposit Refund. Only those with recorded hours are on the list.
- Note that several additional people have the potential for completing 8 hours of service if they attend the November 16th/17th Boat Maintenance event.
- RSVP Now – WRRA Year-End Party
- Tuesday, October 29th, 2013
A friendly reminder that WRRA’s Year-End Party is on Saturday, November 9, 2013 at the Flat Iron Cafe. To attend this gathering please RSVP no later than this Sunday, November 2, 2013 to event organizer Erik Murdell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Planning for this event is contingent upon knowing how many are coming. Help us out and RSVP now while you are thinking about it if possible.
When: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 7 p.m.
Where: Flat Iron – 1114 Center St., Cleveland, OH 44113
- NO CHARGE to WRRA members
- $20 charge to non-members/guests
ALL WILL RECEIVE:
- 2 drinks tickets (good for domestic bottle/draft beer, house wine or well drinks)
- Food provided
- Cash bar also available
Again, please RSVP by this Sunday, November 2, 2013 to email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Don’t forget that in the morning of the same day is the WRRA Annual Meeting, which will include election of the new Board Directors. Please attend and be a part of the decision making process that will shape our club for years to come. Meeting is at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, November 9, 2103 at the Flat Iron.