News & Events
- Summer Rowing League Starts This Week
- Monday, May 13th, 2013
Time to get excited … we’ve officially arrived at week one of WRRA’s Summer Rowing League!
If you are a participant, please review the e-mail you already received about SRL so you’ll be fully prepared for what lies ahead. Then be sure to show up on the day you are scheduled to row, dress appropriately, arrive early and be ready for some fun on the Cuyahoga.
Details of the program can be found here: http://www.westernreserverowing.com/members/programs/summer-rowing-league/ And once you get your team together, start thinking about electing a captain for your team. Details on that position and the responsibilities that come with it can be found here: http://www.westernreserverowing.com/members/programs/summer-rowing-league/srl-captains/
In case you need a refresher, the entrance to the boathouse is located here: http://goo.gl/maps/fhL0O
This should be fun. We hope you are as excited about SRL as we are. See you at the boathouse!
- RiverSweep Details
- Friday, May 10th, 2013
Tomorrow, Saturday May 11, 2013 is RiverSweep!
If you have signed up to volunteer (or even if you haven’t but want to) please read the following for tips, directions and details for the day:
- Time: 9 a.m. – noon
- Parking: Park in the Rivergate Park lot against the fence. Head north on Merwin from Columbus Road (by Sainato’s), go through the gate onto the Metroparks property, turn right and park against the fence. They will lock the gate at 2:30 p.m.
- Meet: Meet in front of Sainato’s restaurant (1852 Columbus Rd. Cleveland, OH. 44113). See directions link below.
- Lunch: Pizza will be provided at noon in Hart Crane Park (on Merwin across from Sainato’s).
- Clothing: It will be cool tomorrow morning (50 F), so dress appropriately (layers) so you can adjust as needed. The gloves that are provided are not extremely robust, so you might want to bring your own.
When you arrive, please come to the supply distribution point in front of Sainatos and do the following:
- Sign RiverSweep waiver
- Sign in on WRRA Volunteer Sheet with Frank Campbell to record Volunteer hours. Note: you must also sign out when you are done.
- Pick up T-shirt (saw them today; they are Sweet!)
- Pick up garbage bags and gloves
We will fan out across the Columbus Road Peninsula. We encourage people to gather in groups that mix new WRRA folks with existing WRRA folks. The entire peninsula is fair game. You will be heading north towards Settlers landing along Columbus, Fall , or Merwin (on other side of boathouse near our entrance). There are also other nearby areas if needed.
This effort has been very successful over the 24 years of its history. The amount of trash collected drops every year. That’s the goal!
If you’re near the river, keep an eye out for Flotsam and Jetsam, the team of boats that were designed to remove debris from the Cuyahoga. 2013 will be their first full season of operation.
- RiverSweep – May 11, 2013
- Monday, May 6th, 2013
Join your fellow WRRA rowers as we spend a morning removing trash from the areas bordering the Cuyahoga River on the Columbus Road Peninsula that is home to our boathouse. This event of the Ohio Canal Corridor targets the areas along the Cuyahoga, the Ohio and Erie Canalway and the Towpath Trail. Nearly 1,000 volunteers have participated in this effort in years past, collecting 10-12 tons of trash each year.
After the cleanup a celebratory free luncheon is held from noon – 2:00 p.m. at Hart Crane Park (next to Columbus Road Bridge and Sainato’s).
The first 1,000 volunteers also get an awesome T-shirt designed by George Coghill starring the rowing frog (see left).
Let us know you plan to come so we can obtain the proper number of t-shirts and supplies (gloves and garbage bags). Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will email you before the event to tell you where to meet.
This is a fun, feel-good, make-a-difference charity activity of WRRA. Join us!